Saturday, March 10, 2012

Marriage

One of the greatest gifts is to have the opportunity to watch two wonderful, godly people join together in holy matrimony!  I enjoyed such a blessing earlier today! 
The Lord has instituted marriage to be a holy union between a man and a woman for several purposes.  I'd like to list a few that I've learned below.

1) One of the Lord's goals for marriage is to bring forth godly seed.
"But did He not make them one, having a remnant of the Spirit?  And why one?  He seeks godly offspring.  Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously with the wife of his youth."
Malachi 2:15
Children are the next generation's pastors, missionaries, doctors, evangelists, teachers, mothers, fathers, etc.  If we didn't have godly children being taught by godly parents the world would be drastically different.  They are the ones picking up the torch and carrying it on for the gospel's sake.  The Bible clearly states that children are a blessing.  I'm so thankful that my parents embraced this truth.  They are already beginning to reap the fruit that they've sown.

2) Another of the Lord's goals for marriage to accurately represent Christ and His church.  Wow, what a responsibility!
"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing,but that she would be holy and without blemish."
Ephesians 5:25-27
There should be a stark contrast between a couple who loves the Lord and is trying to honor Him in their lives and those who are just trying to make it work.  People are always watching you...may we never forget that!

3) A third thing was for fellowship and encouragement.  See what Solomon says in his book Ecclesiastes.
"Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him.  And a threefold cord is not quickly broken."  Ecc. 4:12

Or what about what God said at the very beginning...
"And the Lord God said, "It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.""
Genesis 2:18
It is always easier to finish a race with someone you know beside you.  They encourage, strengthen, and challenge you.  That is what I believe God calls a husband and wife to be to each other.

Although I have not yet embarked into this part of life.   I look forward to the day the Lord gives me a man than I can serve, encourage, and finish the race with.  But if that is not where He wants me to serve Him then I must trust that He has plans far better, beyond what I could ever ask, think, or imagine.  I strive, with the Lord's help, to accomplish this verse while single (however long that may be ;)....
"There is a difference between a wife and a virgin.  The unmarried woman cares about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit."
1 Corinthians 7:34 
Perhaps I'll do a post about singles next.... :)

Learning to delight in Jesus,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment