Friday, March 11, 2011

What is a daughter to do after High School?

This question has been coming back to me again and again.  "Lord, what am I to do after High School?", has been my silent prayer for about 6 months.  Just this week I decided to research the roles of all the daughters in the Bible by looking up "daughters" in the dictionary and concordance.  Here's what I've found:

The first daughter that was significant to what I was researching about, was Rebekah.

Genesis 24:15-22, " And it happened, before he had finished speaking, that behold, Rebekah, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham’s brother, came out with her pitcher on her shoulder.  Now the young woman was very beautiful to behold... and she went down to the well, filled her pitcher, and came up.  And the servant ran to meet her and said, “Please let me drink a little water from your pitcher.” So she said, “Drink, my lord.” Then she quickly let her pitcher down to her hand, and gave him a drink.  And when she had finished giving him a drink, she said, “I will draw water for your camels also, until they have finished drinking.”  Then she quickly emptied her pitcher into the trough, ran back to the well to draw water, and drew for all his camels.  And the man, wondering at her, remained silent so as to know whether the LORD had made his journey prosperous or not."

Why is this significant to me?  Rebekah was single but she was serving diligently under her father's roof.  Not only was she a servant to her family, but also to others as the above verses show.   
Here's another example:

Genesis 29:9, "Now while he was still speaking with them, Rachel came with her father’s sheep, for she was a shepherdess."

Here's Rachel, also a single young lady, being useful and busy in her home.  She helped her father in his business in preparation for helping her husband in his.

Here's another:

Nehemiah 3:12, "And next to him was Shallum the son of Hallohesh, leader of half the district of Jerusalem; he and his daughters made repairs."  

Shallum got a special little side note in his description, his daughters were helping him!

So, what am I getting at?  I've been convicted by the Lord that after high school, while I'm yet unmarried, I'm to be...
#1- Serving Him with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength....and....
#2- Serving my father and helping him, in his business and visions, just like the daughters in the Bible illustrated.  This is in preparation for serving my future spouse and being a blessing to him, if the Lord sees to fit to bring that dream into fruition.  But until then, why would I want to work for someone else and push forward his visions when I could be doing that for my own father?

I can hear someone saying now, "But that was their culture back then, the Lord doesn't mean that for this day and age!"  I disagree.  The Bible is completely relevant to this time in history, just like it was when Jesus walked on the earth, when the disciples preached to all nations, when the martyrs through the ages died for the sake of God's Word!  That's what makes the Bible so amazing and distinct from any other book on earth!!   
I can hear another person saying, "What about college,"?  
Well, what about it?  Just because I may choose not to go to a college does not mean that I'm to stop learning!  No, rather I would have the freedom to pursue my own passions to the highest levels...whether that be through a college degree or not, only the Lord knows right now.  I'm not pursuing a college education currently, but the Lord could change my course within the next year!  I'm not opposed to college education but I am opposed to our current culture which thinks that you can not be "successful" without a degree.  What is successful in their eyes?  What should successful be in ours, according to Christ?
I'm still unsure as to where the Lord wants me to be within the next year, but I trust He's leading me and when the time's right, He'll show me!

We have a very special post in our families...the Bible compares us to pillars gracefully adorning a palace (Psalms 144:12).  Are you and I being pillars in our families, supporting our fathers in our words and actions, and not breaking our house down?  May the Lord help all of us to be a graceful, joyful pillars in our homes, for His glory!!

Learning to delight in Jesus,
Hannah

P.S.- The above post is my views as to what a woman should be doing while unmarried not men(as this is a blog to girls). 

No comments:

Post a Comment