Monday, September 3, 2012

Book Review: "It's (not that) Complicated"

I'm sure most of you have heard of Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin's new book, "It's (not that) Complicated".  I wasn't certain if I would like it or not.  Their previous book had been difficult to read (not that the writing was bad but the content was overwhelming, in my opinion) although I did learn a lot.  I was pleasantly surprised by the simple truths and everyday examples given in their newest book.  It is easy to read, easy to understand, and more down to earth.
It's (not that) Complicated tackles the important subjects that every girl needs to have an opinion on.  The Botkin sisters do a very good job of addressing the underlying issues in many relationships in today's society.  The simple truths they share from the Scripture will open your eyes to a whole new way of looking at the "tough" relationships.  Instead of always being led by your emotions and allowing your heart to lead you, they challenge you to lead your heart.  While the rest of the world either goes searching for a guy or sits waiting for a guy, you are encouraged to simply follow God.  When your heart is in the right place then your thoughts will be in the right place and then your actions will be right.  They're all linked together.  The biggest thing I took away from this book was that if my relationship with God is right then my relationship with everyone else will be right.  I don't need to follow a list of rules and regulations in order to make sure I "stay pure".  If I am anxious to please, honor, and glorify my King in everything I do (including relationships) then His Spirit will lead me in the ways in which I should walk.
Some of the topics covered in this book are:
~ How to be a better sister to your brothers
~ How important it is that you have a good relationship with your parents
~ How you can prepare to be the wife a godly man would want
~ How to interact and communicate effectively to young men (in all purity)
~ What to do until he comes
And so much more!  One thing I really liked about this book was it's inside tips and explanations from everyday young men.  It really helped me to understand what men think about girls and how they think in general.

I highly encourage every young woman to read this book.  It will be challenging, it will be convicting, and hopefully it will be life-changing.
May the Lord bless you all this week!
Learning to delight in Jesus,
Hannah

4 comments:

  1. Dear Hannah,
    I've been reading it and love it!! I think one of the things that hit me the most is that I can never treat a young man with too much of the fruits of the Spirit.
    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book, but I've heard a lot about it...perhaps I need to get it :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! What a challenge just for my everday life. I know I'll never lack something to work on!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah! I've read so many books similar to this one that I didn't think I would really get a whole lot out of it. Suprisingly it had many new concepts and reminded me of the things I need to continue to work on!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete