Monday, October 31, 2011

Habits

What is a habit?

Habit - "A disposition or condition of the mind or body acquired by custom or a frequent repetition of the same act."   Websters 1828 Dictionary.  
As I was doing my devotions in Daniel a couple days ago the Lord revealed this verse to me:

"
Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went home. And in his upper room, with his windows open toward Jerusalem, he knelt down on his knees three times that day, and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as was his custom since early days."
Daniel 6:10

I had read this verse before and had always admired Daniel's obedience to God, but this time the last part of the verse caught my eye, "since [his] early days."  Daniel had a habit of praying to the Lord three times a day.  He didn't change his habit just because an ungodly edict had been issued...he continued doing what the Lord had shown him to do.
Wondering if there was any other verses that revealed good habits started while young I searched the Scriptures.

1)  In 1 Samuel 3:1a, 10 it says, "Now the boy Samuel ministered to the LORD before Eli.  Now the LORD came and stood and called as at other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” And Samuel answered, “Speak, for Your servant hears.”"
Samuel had a habit of listening to God.  Because of this habit, established while young,  he was used mightily for God's purposes when older.

2)  Another person who established a godly habit while young was David.  In Psalm 71:5 he says, "For You are my hope, O Lord GOD; You are my trust from my youth."
David had a habit of trusting God.

3) In the New Testament we're told that Timothy studied the Scriptures while still a child.
"and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus."  2 Timothy 3:15

There are plenty of other examples but I just wanted to focus on a few.  From these verses we've gathered several habits that we should start right now!

Prayer- Talking to our Creator...why would we not?! :)
Listening to God- John 10:4 makes it clear that "His sheep know His voice."  How would we know His voice if we didn't listen for it?
Trusting God - this is a life-long habit we all have to acquire otherwise we will go crazy trying to do things in our own strength.  "Fear not for I am with you..." Is. 41:10  We must always keep our focus vertical not horizontal.
Studying the Scriptures- If we love God we will desire to please Him.  To please Him we must know what He delights in.  To know what He delights in we must study His Word.

Combine all these and we will be powerhouses able to used mightily for our Savior.
Another thing the Lord showed me is to beware of habits that will take away time from my family, Himself, and the real world.  One particular habit for me would be browsing blogs.  I don't necessarily spend hours on the computer looking at blogs but I do need to be very careful in how I use the time the Lord has given me.  Time is something that God has given man....it can be used for ourselves or to glorify God....which am I doing?  With the Lord's help I hope to overcome my not-the-best habit in order to better serve Him, my family, and others.  Will you pray for me?

Is there any habit I can pray for you to overcome?
Learning to delight in Jesus,
Hannah 

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post, Hannah! I sometimes get into the habit of playing games on the WII (it's not our family's--we're borrowing it from someone) for a few minutes to relax after the day, or browse blogs online. I'm hoping to get to where I don't do it as often, and instead make better use of my time. Thanks!

    ~Jaime

    ReplyDelete