Sunday, September 9, 2012

Waiting

Last Wednesday a kind lady at church came up and gave me a gift bag after service.  She said that she tried to give every high school graduate this devotional book (Streams in the Desert by L.B. Cowman) and she hoped I would enjoy it.  Later I read the devotional for that day and it brought tears to my eyes.  It just seemed to speak to the place where I am right now in my life.  Below is the poem that was at the end of the devotion.  I hope it blesses one of you today as much as it blessed me!

"I longed to walk along an easy road,
And leave behind the dull routine of home,
Thinking in other fields to serve my God;
But Jesus said, "My time has not yet come."

I longed to sow the seed in other soil,
To be unshackled in the work, and free,
To join with other laborers in their toil;
But Jesus said, "It's not My choice for thee."

I longed to leave the desert, and be led
To work where souls were sunk in sin and shame,
that I might win them; but the Master said,
"I have not called you, publish here My name."

I longed to fight the battles of my King,
Lift high His standards in the thickest strife;
But my great Captain had me wait and sing
Songs of His conquests in my quiet life.

I longed to leave the hard and difficult sphere,
Where all alone I seemed to stand and wait,
To feel I had some human helper near,
But Jesus had me guard one lonely gate.

I longed to leave the common daily toil,
Where no one seemed to understand or care;
But Jesus said, "I choose for you this soil,
That you might raise for Me some blossoms rare."

And now I have no longing but to do
At home, or far away, His blessed will,
To work amid the many or the few;
Thus, "choosing not to choose," my heart is still.

Pilgrim's Progress 

What a sweet, convicting reminder!
Learning to delight in Jesus,
Hannah 

No comments:

Post a Comment