Friday, January 6, 2012

Your WHOLE heart

On Wednesday night during service I felt the Lord speaking to me about the words "whole heart".  We were going through Psalm 119 and in the 11 verse we read 2 spoke about seeking the Lord with the whole heart
(verse 2 and 10). In order to follow the Lord wholly we must be devoted.  See the definition below:
"to give up wholly, a yielding of the heart and affections to God..." Websters 1828 dictionary
This made me search and see if I was truly devoted to God with my WHOLE heart.  Suddenly I remembered my verse for the year,
"Only fear the LORD, and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you."
1 Samuel 12:24
How amazing (although I shouldn't be amazed as this is the God I serve)!  The Lord had given me this verse without me really knowing why and now He was showing me what my goal was to be this year.  Not too long after that I was reading an article in the Above Rubies we just received and the writer was talking about how God required our WHOLE heart, WHOLE mind, WHOLE body, everything...not just bits and pieces.  Ironic right :)?  When you read through the Scriptures do you ever see God complimenting half-hearted behavior?  One illustration that comes instantly to mind is the church of Laodicea in Revelation.  They were not hot nor cold, not wholly for God or wholly against God but halfway.  And what did Jesus say, "So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth."
Revelation 3:16
Um, I don't think that's a good thing ;)!  Another example in the Old Testament is in Jeremiah Chapter 3 verse 10 which says,
"And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah has not turned to Me with her whole heart, but in pretense,” says the LORD. "
In this section God is pleading for Israel and Judah to return to Him but they would not have it.  Israel fell away first and even though Judah saw Israel's judgment she still continued on her path towards destruction.  To all those outside she appeared to be "following the Lord" but He knew their heart and that it was not wholly His!
Is that me?  Do I just appear to be following the Lord on the outside but in reality my heart is elsewhere?  Is my heart WHOLLY my Savior's for Him to do with as He wills, even if I don't understand His methods?
This is my prayer for this year; that I would be wholly devoted to Jesus with my whole heart, mind, soul, and strength.
Will you join me in giving your ALL to Jesus this year?

Learning to delight in Jesus,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment